Sunday, 20 February 2011

IHG 2011

The night before IHG 2011, I told my team that we cannot win 4x400m.
Daryl and I were still injured, and the other hall teams were looking very strong.

And how I had to swallow my own words.

Because we won.

+

It was probably the most exciting IHG I've taken part. Although we did not win overall, I'll rate it much more memorable that last year's edition when we swept all 3 events (4x100m, 4x400m, Medley)

I was the anchor for the 1600m relay again, at 1100m, Kent Ridge Hall was behind EH and surprise package Shears. But Daryl managed to draw almost level when he handed the baton over. Experience led to a swift exchange and that leap from EH, with Shears only 5m ahead.

I can tell you I was scared. Worried because I dont know what my fitness level was and I sure as hell wasnt going to relish the lead. I made light work of Shears, as instinct took over the moment I started running.

Instinct. After countless races, your legs just go. (:

I couldnt help but steal a smile and raise my hand 5m from the finish line, doing a mini kiss on the baton in one quick action. I never felt so happy winning a 1600m relay.

This was just IHG. But the win and the way I managed to hold on and run smoothly, meant so much more.

+

17th Feb 2011 also marks the end of Sharon Yeo's athletic career.

7X National Schools' Champion, and multiple Inter-Varsity Polytechnic Games Gold medalist, makes an impressive number.

IHG as her testimonal race, she showed what a champion is and ran her heart out. Once you're a tracker, you'll always know how to sprint your lungs out ((:

No comments: